Bridgeport (Nyes Crossing) Covered Bridge
Built in 1862 by David Isaac John Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County,
this bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company Toll Road which served the northern mines
and the busy Nevada Comstock Lode.
Utilizing a combination truss and arch construction, it is one of the oldest housed spans in the West
and the longest single span, wooden-covered bridge in the United States.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 390
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Nevada County Historical Society
and the Wm. B. Meek -- Wm. M. Stewart Chapter No. 10, E Clampus Vitus, May 23, 1964