National Register of Historic Places in Clark County
The Mission Revival residence was built for businessman Stephen R. Whitehead and his family in 1929. In 1942 after Whitehead's death, it was sold to the Sisters of the Holy Family and served as their convent for forty-three years.
In the year 2000, when the house was destroyed by fire, it was owned by the Junior League and awaiting restoration.
Between the years 1985 and 2000, nine National Register properties in Nevada were lost to vandalism, neglect and renewal as reported by
Sean Whaley in the Las Vegas Review-Journal dated 6 November 2000.
|198?||Reno||Riverside Mill Company Flourmill demolished|
|1988||Las Vegas||Las Vegas Hospital burned down|
|1991||Carson City||Virginia and Truckee Railroad Shops knocked down by owner|
|1992||Winnemucca||Nixon Opera House destroyed by arson|
|1992||Reno||Odd Fellows Building demolished by the city to make way for a parking garage|
|1993||Tonopah||J.E. Smith stone duplex knocked down|
|1994||Reno||Reno Bell Telephone building demolished|
|2000||Reno||Mapes Hotel imploded by city officials to make way for new development|
|2000||Las Vegas||Whitehead House destroyed by a fire believed to have been set by vagrants|