Sloughhouse, prominent hotel and stage station on the road to the Amador mines, was a favorite stopping place for
travellers, notably Leland Stanford. Constructed in 1850 by Jared Dixon Sheldon, it was destroyed by fire in 1890 and
rebuilt the same year. Many descendants of pioneers of the community of Sloughhouse, which developed near Sheldon's
establishment, still reside in this fertile valley of the Cosumnes.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 575
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Liberty Parlor No. 213, Native Daughters
of the Golden West, September 15, 1957.