The recorded history of Eureka and Noe Valleys began in 1845 when José de Jesús Noe, the
last Mexican alcalde (mayor) of San Francisco, was granted Rancho San Miguel, four thousand
acres which spread across Twin Peaks and down into the valleys lying to the east.
Less than a decade later in 1854, John M. Horner, an ambitious Mormon newly arrived from New Jersey,
purchased most of the ranch and platted out Horner's Addition in a grid bounded by Castro Street
on the west, Valencia Street on the east, 18th Street on the north and 30th Street on the south. He
named the main north-south streets after prominent Mexican ranchers who among themselves had owned
much of the land that is now San Francisco: General José Castro,
José de Jesús Noe, José Antonio Sánchez, Don Francisco Guerrero
and José Manuel Valencia (or his son Candelario).