Site of Mark Hopkins Institute of Art
In February 1893, Mr. Edward F. Searles donated the Hopkins Mansion
to the University of California in trust for the San Francisco Art
Institute for "instruction in and illustration of the fine arts,
music and literature" and as San Francisco's first cultural center.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 754
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in
cooperation with the San Francisco Art Institute, the Mark Hopkins
Hotel, and California Historical Society. October 20, 1961.