Original Site of Bancroft Library
Here from 1881-1906 stood the library of Hubert Howe Bancroft
who in 1860 began to collect the wealth of material which was to subsequently
result in the writing of his monumental history of western North America.
In 1905, the library was purchased by the University of California and
removed the following year to its Berkeley campus.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 791
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in
cooperation with The Friends of the Bancroft Library, the California
Historical Society and St. Luke's Hospital. November 24, 1964.