This Site Has No Commemorative Plaque
It was 1850 when the Verdier brothers, immigrants from France, opened a store aboard the
ship La Ville de Paris to serve the Argonauts passing through San Francisco's harbor. In 1896
the business, which stayed in the family for over a century and a quarter, moved into a new building
designed by architect Clinton Day, damaged by the 1906 earthquake, its interior was reconstructed by
architects John Bakewell and Arthur J. Brown. The old City of Paris building was one of the finest
examples of the beaux-arts style of commercial building in California.
California Office of Historic Preservation