Search NoeHill   Contact NoeHill
NoeHill in San Francisco
Historic Sites and Points of Interest in San Francisco
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter   Home    San Francisco    California    The West    The World

National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco

National Register #73000440: House at 216-220 Elm Street
This photograph, submitted with the NRHP
nomination, was taken when the building
stood at 216-220 Elm Street.
National Register #73000440: House at 1331-1335 Scott Street
4 February 2004
(Click Photos to Zoom)
National Register #73000440
House at 1331-1335 Scott Street
1331-1335 Scott Street Between Ellis and O'Farrell
Built 1888

These woodframe, Stick Style townhouses were moved here from 216-220 Elm Street in the 1970's.

In the early 1970's, the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency razed much of the Western Addition, a 19th century residential neighborhood regarded as a slum. A few vintage buildings were saved by private buyers.

The following is excerpted from the 1973 NRHP Nomination Form :

The San Francisco Water Department records show this building as being connected to the water system in 1888.

Martin O'Dea was the original owner, and this property remained in the O'Dea family until purchase was made by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency in 1972. He was a prominent horseshoer from the East. Mr. O'Dea had built this fine residence as part of a complex from which he ran his business.

This Victorian structure as well as the other two structures on the same property survived the 1906 earthquake and fire. [Webmaster note: One of the other structures, a single family house at 743 Turk Street, was moved to 1321 Scott Street, and today stands next to this three-unit building.]

This lovely Victorian structure was purchased from the family of the original owners by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency and has remained in very good condition throughout the years. This building will be moved to become one of a row of handsome Victorians on Scott Street near Ellis Street.

In 1973, some Victorian residences were listed on the National Register of Historic Places and moved to save them from San Francisco Redevelopment Agency slum clearance. These residences were among the first NRHP listings in San Francisco. Prior to 1973, only fourteen San Francisco properties had been listed on the NRHP.

The following is excerpted from the NRHP Nomination Form for 33-35 Beideman Place:

Because of the zoning within the project area, this building has to be either demolished or moved to a more suitable location where it can be rehabilitated and preserved.

This will be one of eight buildings to be moved onto a two block development within the Western Addition. These two city blocks will be intensively developed with projects including scattered public housing, moderately priced private housing, private rehabilitation and rehabilitation for public bidding and resale by the San Francisco Redevelopment agency. A few rehabilitation projects have already been completed within these two blocks.

Previous National Register Site | Next National Register Site
Map of National Register Sites in San Francisco