Search NoeHill   Contact NoeHill
NoeHill in San Francisco
Historic Sites and Points of Interest in San Francisco
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter   Home    San Francisco    California    The West    The World

National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco

National Register #73000443: Building at 1813-1813B Sutter Street
13 January 2012
(Click Photo to Zoom)
National Register #73000443
Building at 1813-1813B Sutter Street
1815 Sutter Street Between Buchanan and Webster
Built 1876

Listed on the National Register as Building at 1813-1813B Sutter Street, the residence at 1815 Sutter Street was moved here from 1624 Post Street.

The following is excerpted from the National Register Nomination Form dated 8 March 1973 which was written before the building was moved:

The San Francisco Water Department records show this building as being connected to the water system in 1876. The Junior League of San Francisco's book Here Today concurs with this date.

The original owner was Mr. or Ms. Gantzer who lived at 417 Kearny Street. This Italianate Victorian structure was built as a rental property. After the original owner, there were six owners before the final purchase by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency. All of the previous owners were absentee landlords.

This Italianate Victorian structure survived the 1906 earthquake and fire and has remained in good condition up to the present. Because this building is within the Japanese section of the Western Addition, its previous uses have been varied and interesting, including its use as a Bonsai store and currently as a Japanese church.

Because of the zoning within the project area, this building has to be either demolished or moved to a more suitable location where it can be rehabilitated and preserved.

1624 Post is to be moved to Block 685, Lot 30, which is still within the Japanese section of the Western Addition (Ninon Machi) and will be one of a row of extremely handsome Italianate Victorians on Sutter near Buchanan, one of which has just completed rehabilitation. 1624 Post Street is one of the six most important Victorian structures chosen by the San Francisco Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board as having exceptional merit.

In 1973, some Victorian residences were listed on the National Register of Historic Places and moved to save them from San Francisco Redevelopment Agency slum clearance. These residences were among the first NRHP listings in San Francisco. Prior to 1973, only fourteen San Francisco properties had been listed on the NRHP.

The following is excerpted from the NRHP Nomination Form for 33-35 Beideman Place:

Because of the zoning within the project area, this building has to be either demolished or moved to a more suitable location where it can be rehabilitated and preserved.

This will be one of eight buildings to be moved onto a two block development within the Western Addition. These two city blocks will be intensively developed with projects including scattered public housing, moderately priced private housing, private rehabilitation and rehabilitation for public bidding and resale by the San Francisco Redevelopment agency. A few rehabilitation projects have already been completed within these two blocks.

Previous National Register Site | Next National Register Site
Map of National Register Sites in San Francisco