26 May 2011
(Click Photo to Enlarge)
The House of the Flag is the hipped-roof residence in the foreground. In 1906, it was not obscured from view by surrounding buildings.
House of the Flag
1652-1656 Taylor Between Broadway and Vallejo
Built 1860, 1903
The following description is quoted from Russian Hill Neighbors.
This First Bay Area Tradition style house is located at the southeast corner of Vallejo and Taylor. It is best known for
being dramatically rescued from the 1906 earthquake fire. As the fire approached, the occupant, a flag collector, raised the
American flag on a staff beside the house. A company of soldiers spied it from below and were inspired to charge up the hill
to fight the fire. It is reported that they found a bathtub full of water, sand from a nearby construction project, and soda
siphons to squirt into hard-to-reach places. The soldiers are credited with saving the house and protecting the rest of the hill.