NoeHill in San Francisco
Historic Sites and Points of Interest in San Francisco
  Home    San Francisco    California    The West

San Francisco Landmarks

San Francisco Landmark #142: PG&E Substation J
26 June 2010
(Click Photo to Zoom)
San Francisco Landmark #142
PG&E Substation J
565 Commercial Street and 568 Sacramento Street Between Montgomey and Sansome
Built 1914

Frederick H. Meyer and Henry C. Vensano designed PG&E Substation J in the Classical Revival style.

The substation exemplifies the quality of the architecture employed by PG&E to beautify its utility stations. The elegant proportions of the building focus attention on the concentrated burst of renaissance and baroque ornamentation over the entrance. This burst of ornamentation was perhaps intended as an architectural pun. The electric pulses generated here spread throughout the surrounding financial district.

Substation J was an early example of the adaptive reuse of an industrial building. At various times, the structure housed the nightclubs Station J and Whiskey a Go-Go and the restaurant Paoli's.

Adapted from City Planning Commission Resolution 9119 dated August 27, 1981.

PG&E Substation J is also National Register Listing #86003514.

Previous San Francisco Landmark | Next San Francisco Landmark
Map of Locally Designated San Francisco Landmarks