Search NoeHill   Contact NoeHill
NoeHill in San Francisco
Historic Sites and Points of Interest in San Francisco
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter   Home    San Francisco    California    The West    The World

San Francisco Landmarks

San Francisco Landmark #162: Hobart Building
Kiosk and Streetcar
Chancery and Hobart Buildings
Three International Style Skyscrapers
14 June 2008
San Francisco Landmark #162: Hobart Building
19 February 2012
(Click Photos to Zoom)
San Francisco Landmark #162
Hobart Building
582-592 Market Street At Montgomery
Built 1914

In the top photograph - from foreground to background - are a Parisian style kiosk, Muni streetcar No. 1052, the Chancery Building (with flags), and the Hobart Building. Both the Chancery Building and Hobart Building were designed by Willis Polk.

Three International style skyscrapers provide a bland background. From left to right are:

  • McKesson Plaza at 1 Post Street. 38 floors, built 1969, clad in granite.
  • One Montgomery Tower formerly Telesis Building. 38 floors, built 1982, clad in highly polished sunset red granite. Despite the name One Montgomery, the building stands on the northeast corner of Post and Kearny Streets.
  • Originally Wells Fargo Bank World Headquarters at 44 Montgomery Street. 43 floors, built 1967, clad in aluminum. It was the tallest building west of Dallas when it was built in 1967.

The kiosks...

...arrived in 1995 as part of a larger deal with JCDecaux to put public toilets on San Francisco streets. The French company would install and maintain 26 toilets in return for the right to plant advertising kiosks throughout what their current brochure describes as "the most geographically-concentrated urban shopping area on the West Coast."

Today there are 110 kiosks, all with backlit vertical display panels. Sixty are designed to double as newsstands, with counters inside and doors that swing open to reveal display racks.

The idea was to rid the street of the shabby makeshift news-vending sheds then sprinkled through the downtown. When they were installed, no less an arbiter of civic taste than Chronicle columnist Herb Caen noted approvingly that in the quest to spiff up San Francisco "a touch of Paris never hurts."

Source: John King, Chronicle Urban Design Critic, San Francisco Chronicle article dated 26 November 2010.

Streetcar No. 1052...

...is a single-ended PCC car originally built for Philadelphia in 1946 but painted in the livery of the Los Angeles Railway: orange and yellow, with silver stripes. (Source: SFMTA Historical Streetcars.)

The Hobart Building

One can see an...interesting attempt to satisfactorily terminate a tower in The Hobart Building....This is an instructive example of the lengths to which an architect can go to fit the surroundings and still produce something original and desirable.

Willis Polk designed this building around 1914 and it is said to have been his favorite. The lower bulk of the structure is very plain, so non-committal that it could get along with almost any building on Market Street. Above this basic structure, Polk reared a tower almost as much higher, a tower standing free of the margins of the plot (which is odd-shaped and filled by the lower building), a tower that is finished on all sides in magnificently ornate style unmatched by any of its neighbors. The visual effect of the rays of the setting sun on the rich detailing is one of downtown San Francisco's remarkable sights (Olmsted and Watkins 1969: 86).

Source: Here Today, San Francisco's Architectural Heritage by Roger Olmsted and T. H. Watkins, San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1969.

For another view of the Hobart Building, see San Francisco Landmark 200, Path of Gold Light Standards.

Willis Polk

Some buildings designed by Willis Polk:

  • c1890: Eli Sheppard House, 3203 Pacific Avenue
  • 1891: Horatio Livermore House, 40 Florence Street
  • 1891: Batten House, 116 Cherry Street
  • 1892: Williams-Polk House, 1013-1019 Vallejo Street
  • 1892: House at 3203 Pacific Avenue (Remodel)
  • 1893: Valentine Rey House, Belvedere
  • 1894: George W. Gibbs House, 2622 Jackson
  • 1894: William Joliffe House, 2015 Pacific Avenue
  • 1897: William Bourn Mansion, 2550 Webster Street
  • 1898: Wheeler House
  • 1900: Fanny Osborne House, 2319-23 Hyde Street
  • 1900: Albert Ehrman House, 2880 Broadway
  • c1900: Barreda House (Remodel), 2139-41 Buchanan Street
  • 1900: Atkinson-Escher House (Remodel), 1032 Broadway
  • 1900: Lloyd Osborne House, 1100 Lombard Street
  • 1900: One Lombard Street
  • 1900: Wilson Building: 973-977 Market Street
  • 1901: McCullagh-Jones House, Los Gatos
  • 1903: Merchants' Exchange Building, 465 California Street
  • 1904: All Saints' Episcopal Church, 1350 Waller Street
  • 1905-1909: Jessie Street Substation (Remodel), 220 Jessie Street
  • 1906: Flood Mansion (Reconstruction), 1000 California Street
  • 1906: Mills Building (Reconstruction), 220 Montgomery Street
  • 1906: Alvinza Hayward Building (Reconstruction), 400 Montgomery Street
  • 1907: Seldon S. Wright House, 950 Lombard Street
  • 1908: Path of Gold Light Standard, Market
  • 1912: Alice Griffith House, 2820 Pacific Avenue
  • 1912: Merced Manor Reservoir, Sloat Boulevard Between 22nd and 23rd Avenues
  • 1913: S. L. Napthaly House, 2960 Broadway
  • 1913: Insurance Exchange Building, 433 California Street
  • 1913: House at 2880 Broadway
  • 1913: Catherine Hooker House, 3277 Pacific Avenue
  • 1914: Hobart Building, 582 Market Street
  • 1914: Houses at 1-7 Russian Hill Place
  • 1914: Russian Hill Crest Double Access Ramp, Intersection of Vallejo and Jones Streets
  • 1914: Seacliff House #1, 9 Scenic Way
  • 1914: Seacliff House #2, 25 Scenic Way
  • 1914: Seacliff House #3, 45 Scenic Way
  • 1915: Carolands, Hillsborough
  • 1915: Tobin House, 1969 California Street
  • 1916: House at 2233 Lyon
  • 1917: House at 2840 Broadway
  • 1917: Four Townhouses, 831-849 Mason Street
  • 1917: Hallidie Building, 130 Sutter Street
  • 1920: House at 2255 Lyon Street
  • 1922: San Francisco Water Department, 425 Mason Street
  • 1923: Women's City Club Building
  • 1925: Beach Chalet, 1000 Great Highway
  • 1925: Filoli, Woodside
  • 1928: St. Francis Yacht Club
  • 1929: House at 3450 Washington Street
  • 1932: New College of California, 42-58 Fell Street
Previous San Francisco Landmark | Next San Francisco Landmark
Map of Locally Designated San Francisco Landmarks