NoeHill in San Francisco
Historic Sites and Points of Interest in San Francisco
  Home    San Francisco    California    The West

San Francisco Landmarks

San Francisco Landmark #186: David Lewis House
29 May 2003
(Click Photo to Zoom)
San Francisco Landmark #186
David Lewis House
4143 23rd Street Between Castro and Diamond Streets
Built 1892

The David Lewis House is significant as an example of Queen Anne style working class row houses of the 19th century. The house reflects the style of the earliest buildings in Noe Valley.

David Lewis, the original owner, was a cabinet-maker and partner in the cabinet-making and stair-building firm of Vandenburgh and Lewis and later Lewis and Hassfurther. The Lewis house retains its custom cabinetry.

When the building was awarded landmark status in 1987, it was owned by Earl Moss who was at the time president of the Victorian Alliance, founded in 1973 to support "the preservation and restoration of Victorian and other historic structures, particularly within the city of San Francisco."

(Source: San Francisco Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board Final Case Report 2 September 1987)

Previous San Francisco Landmark | Next San Francisco Landmark
Map of Locally Designated San Francisco Landmarks