The following description of the Dogpatch Historic District is excerpted from the
San Francisco Planning Code: Article 10, Appendix L .
The Dogpatch Historic District, an enclave of industrial workers' housing located east of Potrero Hill in San Francisco's Central Waterfront district,
possesses a unique place and significance in the areas of architecture, history, and environment. The nine-block neighborhood is comprised of almost one-hundred
flats and cottages, as well as several industrial, commercial, and civic buildings, most of which were erected between 1870 and 1930.
Dogpatch contains the oldest and most intact concentration of industrial workers' housing in San Francisco. No other district
of San Francisco or California was industrialized to the degree of Potrero Point during the last quarter of the 19th Century. The shipyards and other
maritime-related industries of Potrero Point required a steady supply of inexpensive immigrant labor in an area that was geographically cut off from the rest
of the City. Local developers and landholders, including Santa Fe Land Improvement Company, responded to this need by constructing rows of inexpensive cottages
and selling individual parcels to laborers and their families, allowing the neighborhood to develop as an informal company town.
Initially developed in the early 1870s, Dogpatch became the nucleus of the Potrero District that would evolve after the 1906 earthquake. Dogpatch is a moderately
intact district of mostly Victorian and Edwardian-era workers' dwellings constructed between 1870 and 1910. Residences within the district reflect
vernacular forms of architectural styles that were prevalent throughout the country, including Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Italianate, Eastlake and
Classical Revival styles, or combinations thereof. The district has several clusters, and pairs of identical dwellings, including a group of thirteen identical
Eastlake-style cottages based on the plans of San Francisco architect John Cotter Pelton, Jr.
The period of significance dates from 1867, the opening of Long Bridge and the beginning of construction in the neighborhood,
to 1945, the end of World War II.
For more about the Central Waterfront, see Pier 70 San Francisco.
The following buildings are deemed contributory to the Historic District: