Search NoeHill   Contact NoeHill  
NoeHill.com
  Home    San Francisco    California    The West    The World Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Twitter  
 
 
  
 San Francisco Intro
  
 National Register
 State Landmarks
 Local Landmarks
 All Historic Sites
  
 
California Historical Landmarks in San Francisco
 
 
 
Landmark 453
Site of the Bank of Lucas, Turner & Co.
Montgomery and Jackson Streets
Financial District
1854
Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company in 2007
25 August 2007
 
Site of the Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company
25 August 2007
(Click Photos to Zoom)

Site of the Bank of Lucas, Turner & Co.
(Sherman's Bank)

William Tecumseh Sherman established the branch bank of Lucas, Turner & Co. in San Francisco in 1853. He settled the firm in their own building on the northeast corner of Jackson and Montgomery Streets in the springof 1854. Sherman successfully carried the bank through the financial crisis of 1855, and remained until they discontinued business in 1857.

State Registered Landmark No. 453
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission with the cooperation of The Society of California Pioneers.
Dedicated January 17, 1950

Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company in 1906
31 March 1906
(Click Photo to Zoom)

 
Before being damaged by the Great Earthquake and Fire one week after the preceding photograph was taken, the building had three stories. (The building is the one in the center with the French Restaurant sign on top.)

The Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company had been out of business for almost fifty years when this photograph was taken.


Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company in 1934

1934 Photograph From Historic American Buildings Survey
(Click Photo to Zoom)

Miners Exchange Bank in 1856

1856 Photograph of Miner's Exchange Bank From Historic American Buildings Survey With Telegraph Hill in Background
(Click Photo to Zoom)
 
The Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company stands on the northeast corner of Montgomery and Jackson Streets. The Miner's Exchange Bank used to stand on the northwest corner. According to the Historic American Buildings Survey, the building was designed by architect Peter Portois and built in 1854, the last major building before the depression of 1853-1854. It was a four-story brick and stucco building with a granite ground floor. Each floor had cast iron balconies and the building was crowned with an octagonal pavilion and cupola. The cupola was razed in 1868.
The Bank of Lucas, Turner and Company is in the Jackson Square Historic District and is San Francisco Landmark 26.
 
 
Previous Landmark | Next Landmark
Map of California Historical Landmarks in San Francisco