San Francisco Landmarks
The following is adapted from the San Francisco City Planning Commission Resolution No. 6277 dated October 3, 1968:
Built in the Italianate style of the 1860's and contemporary with other buildings in this block of Jackson Street, the Hotaling Annex West most closely resembles the Hotaling Office and Warehouse across Hotaling Place.
Early owners and tenants are unknown. However, Dominick Small, a carpenter and builder, had his shop in the building in the late 1870's. Anson Parsons Hotaling bought the building and others in the vicinity before 1890 for his liquor business. Hotaling's estate owned the building until 1944.
The WPA rented the building during the 1930's for the Federal Writers and Federal Artists projects. In 1941 that use ended, and in 1942 Walter McElroy, an editor in the writers project, took over the lease. In 1945, the lease was taken by Emmy Lou Packard, well-known artist and draftswoman.
During World War II, the tenants included artists and writers who lived here and worked in the shipyards. Among them were Giacomo Patri, Avrum Rubinstein, Byron Randall, Miss Packard (now Mrs. Randall), and Martin Snipper. Writers, artists, musicians continued to live and work here until the 1950's when the building was converted into sales and showrooms for interior designers.
The Hotaling Annex West is in the Jackson Square Historic District.