Search NoeHill   Contact NoeHill
NoeHill in San Francisco
Historic Sites and Points of Interest in San Francisco
Visit NoeHill on Facebook Visit NoeHill on Flickr Visit NoeHill on Twitter   Home    San Francisco    California    The West    The World

San Francisco Landmarks

San Francisco Landmark 188: Engine Company #8
4 June 2010
(Click Photo to Zoom)
San Francisco Landmark #188
Engine Company No. 08
1648 Pacific Avenue Between Van Ness and Franklin
Built 1917

This handsome building faced with brick, tile, and terra cotta was designed by City Architect John Reid Jr. in the Beaux Arts/Italianate style. It is typical of the high quality of public buildings of this period.

The original firehouse on this site was destroyed in the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. A temporary firehouse was located in a two-story wood frame building until this building was completed in 1917.

The building served continuously as a firehouse from 1917 until 1980.

From San Francisco Planning Commission Resolution 11212 adopted November 19, 1987.

Vintage San Francisco Firehouses

GuardiansofTheCity.org is the definitive Web guide to San Francisco firehouses, both vintage and modern.

Map of vintage firehouses in San Francisco.

Previous San Francisco Landmark | Next San Francisco Landmark
Map of Locally Designated San Francisco Landmarks